Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ecological Irony

Today is the 20th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska, where wildlife populations in the area have still not returned to normal. Now the U.S. Border Patrol wants to spray herbicide on plants growing along the Rio Grande to help control border crossings.


Ironic, that the government fined Exxon millions for its environmental damage two decades ago, and is embarking upon a plan that will have ecological implications for generations in South Texas.


Wall Street has been cheered by Treasury Sec'y Tim Geithner's plan to scour toxic assets from banks' balance sheets by sellling them to private investors (translatation: large institutions), while backing the bets with tax dollars (translations: the rest of us.) The Dow screamed ahead 500-points as a result.


"This is what the Markets wanted," crowed one analyst.
I suspect so.


I'd be dancing a jig, too, if someone plotted a plan to erase all of my debt, remove any of my risk, and put me back in businesses.
I love this country!

No comments: