My in-studio guest this morning was my friend, Jordan Goodman, a smart guy who's one of the few financial media types that is the real McCoy, a straight shooter who tells it like it is. He is in Texas this week on a speakers' tour for a booking agency that schedules personalities like Jordan for events and programs.
Jordan's also got a new book out--another proof of his smarts, he's combining business trips for maximum mileage and exposure-- "Master Your Money Type," published by Warner Business Books.
One of the topics we discussed today (catch the podcast) was how to determine your financial personality. Just as success in relationships in life and love are determined by how personalities merge and mesh, so does your financial success hang on your personal psyche regarding lucre.
I wanted to share with you Jordan's Money Personality Test to determine your Money Type and find out how it impacts your financial future. Just answer Yes or No to the following questions. At the end of the quiz you’ll know your Money Type. More importantly, you'll have an important tool for applying the strengths of your Money Personality Type to leverage for greater wealth.
Pencils ready (please, no white out on your monitor screen...)
1. Do you tend to shop for brand name items?
2. Do you believe that people only respect someone whose image says, “I’ve made it!”?
3. Do you take as much pride in your possessions as you do in your achievements?
4. Do you ever fear you’ll lose someone’s love and respect if you are not financially successful? 5. Do you often have no idea what is in your checking account or how much debt you’re carrying on credit cards?
6. Are you embarrassed to talk about money?
7. Would you rather do almost anything than tackle and deal with money problems?
8. Do you lose track of whether or not you’ve paid your bills?
9. Do you have more than six credit cards –and do you tend to pay the minimum each month toward your overall debt?
10. Do you think budgets are annoying and for other people?
11. Have you ever borrowed money in order to pay off what you already owe?
12. Do you frequently receive overdue notices from lenders or pay extra charges for late payments on bills?
13. Do you believe that the only way to feel financially secure is to hang on to every penny?
14. Does worry about money ever stand in the way of you enjoying what you have?
15. Do you live with an unrealistic fear that financial disaster is looming just around the corner?
16. Would you rather pay for your house outright than have a mortgage?
17. Do you feel pride in how you’ve made and managed your money so far?
18. Do you think you have the resources to deal with financial setbacks?
19. Do you prefer to stick to the financial strategies that have worked for you in the past?
20. Are you fairly confident the money will be in place for college and retirement…but haven’t actually made a detailed plan as yet?
21. Do you believe that the only way to get what you want in life is by taking risks?
22. Do you thrive in unpredictable, uncertain situations?
23. Does taking a risk give you an emotional rush that you find exhilarating?
24. Do you like the challenge of competing with others and coming out on top?
Now here's the fun part: How'd you do, and what are you?
If you said yes to two or more of questions 1-4,chances are you are a STRIVER
If you answered yes to two or more of questions 5-8,chances are you are an OSTRICH
If you answered yes to two or more of questions 9-12,chances are you are a DEBT DESPERADO
If you answered yes to two or more of questions 13-16,chances are you are a SQUIRREL
If you answered yes to two or more of questions 17-20,chances are you are a COASTER
If you answered yes to two or more of questions 20-24,chances are you are a HIGH ROLLER
Now, let's get out there and make some money!
(Just don't spend it all in one place.)